Sunday 28 September 2014

A Monologue From The Perspective of Geoffrey

Geoffrey is a vicar. He is intelligent, friendly and helps the village community. He stands at the front of the church. It is early on a Sunday morning.

This mornings lesson was the business in the Garden of Gethsemane with Jesus and his disciples and Susan has disappeared once again. It's the traditional Holy Communion in the middle of winter, around this time I seem to be constantly apologising for my failure to de-frost the church. I love Sunday mornings, a day for the village to prey to Jesus and the holy spirit. The church wrapped in their thick coats due to the sub-zero temperature in the chapel. Unfortunately Mr Medlicott was unable to attend as he had shingles. He always plays the organ so Mrs Bee had to take over instead, she was very good and we sang songs it was so very peaceful and the village love the holy communions.   

Susan, my wife is probably at home. Sat upright on the chair in the kitchen as usual. Most probably smoking a cigarette ... and she doesn't think I know.  I also expect she's muttering under her breath about me being a vicar and believing in Christianity as she usually does.  She's been acting rather strange at the moment ...- although I trust she relies on me if she needs me. I ask what's wrong and I usually get back a grunt or some kind of noise that will usually mean leave me alone.

In the afternoon I usually have to wait for Susan to make an appearance, she tells me she often parks in the lay-by on the ring road asking herself what happened to her life ... she never wants to talk to me about her problems and she never wants to come to Evensong. I usually have to pretend she has a headache.. I no longer think its believable, she's had a headache for the past three months now. Susan doesn't understand why the vicar's wife is expected to go to church ... it's a mark of respect towards me - something she doesn't seem to have. I'm so loving towards that women but I'm beginning to wonder if she even feels the same.

Actually I'm beginning to wonder if she has any respect for me at all, she's constantly going to that shop around the corner and she thinks I don't know what she buys...-well, I'm not that stupid. She buys sherry, and she's in debt. I mean, how is it even possible to become in debt to a corner shop? The whole place is only worth a couple of hundred pounds. So anyway, she's started going to another shop she's found, run by an Indian family, they seem nice. However when I walk in they give me a funny look, almost like I've got ... three heads or something, they've probably never seen a vicar in public before.



No comments:

Post a Comment